Skip to main content

THE GREATEST NOVELIST

By Ola Vincent Omotade
Twelve awards, seven bestsellers, and a USA tour. The euphoria of being labeled a legend; the ecstatic feeling like I can walk in midair, people demanding for my autograph, I guess I can’t be blamed for letting it get into my head a number of times.
My last book, “1 gulp” sold over six million copies. This was a massive win for me even though the dark times of the 18th century had greatly affected book sales world over. My books however, provided a form of escapism from the dark times; people wanted to be locked away in distant imaginations. They wanted to fuse their emotions into something beyond the physical, something super natural, something arduous and dreadful. There I was, satisfying their thirst for adventure and danger. And in no time I became a popular millionaire novelist.
Soon I became a victim of my own imagination. I wanted to feel the dangers I spoke of in my novels, I wanted to feel terrified and thrilled by the plots I had created. I wanted the reality of the horrors I created; I wanted it all.
Then one midnight, I jumped out of bed, a brilliant idea had come to me, or so I thought. Instantly, I went to my study and wrote a letter to be posted by dawn. Two weeks later I went to the post box and there it was; the reply to my letter. I opened it without hesitation.
“Yes!” I screamed. There were privileges to being rich and famous.
Two months later I set sail with the United States navy on the Sea Demon in their quest to fight pirates that had been stealing a lot of government ships and supplies. This was it, this was the adventure I needed so I could boldly write, “I was there, I saw it, and I felt it.” I had been signed on to the ship as a volunteer. The Sea Demon was America’s best war ship with a history of destroying over 9 pirate ships.
The journey began; I became a member of the crew at the break of dawn and wrote my experience by night. Every meal tasted like stale bread and tasteless stew, but I didn’t complain, after all, this was an adventure of a life time.
Then it happened one foggy night, I was woken abruptly by a large bang like an explosion hitting our ship. It continued till it hit the lower deck where I was. Everyone ran haphazardly and that left me confused. I froze where I stood with my book wrapped around my arms. Not too long I heard gun fires in the upper deck, only then did I realize I was alone.
My fear grew tremendously when I heard a croaky female voice say, “There is one down there, bring him to me.”
Large hands gripped me by the armpits and pulled me roughly along the stairs leading to the upper deck. A crowd of armed men stood on the upper deck glaring at me through drunken eyes.
Then the female voice echoed form a dark corner. “You are the famous writer, Ben Christopher yes?”
“Yes,” I said, trembling.
“You will come with me, you will teach me to read and write. The world must know about the pirate queen of death and how they will all bow at my feet soon. You will yes?”
They all turned to look at me as I stared wide eye at the beautiful creature standing in front of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HER MAJESTY

By Ola Vincent Omotade There was a village named Gini, a town blessed with mineral resources and oil. For a long-time the town had been under the pressure and control of Gbaduze a strong courageous king that ruled with excess superiority and power. A very sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, cities where corruption reigned supreme, they forsake the word of the wise and were bent on doing evil, but at the later end Queen Marieke, a woman brought back glory to the land. There lived a king named Gbaduze, a long living wealthy king, dark shinning in complexion, a man of his own very word and power embedded due to influence of the Niger-areas in Okere-aje kingdom. However, when death came calling, he died and the king makers ordered that the Queen to ascend the throne of her late husband and invariably preside over the affairs of the community. On ascension, she rigorously studied the existing relationship between the three major tribes in Gini. Q
This Allah must be a vampire! It must have become an ocean of blood and bones; this heaven. They must've turned maggots feeding on flesh; these angels. He must have looked away in shame and despair; this God. For ages they've murdered us in your name.

YOU ARE ENOUGH

Ignorance is protective. Because we know we will all die, Living is now a protest or an acceptance, like a waiting room where the minutes are in years. Like a dressing room for a grand performance. so we are preparing for a career, then a family then for retirement then... The concept of time is the scam of mortality, if we have to spend all our time minding it as we do currently. The norms about how you should live, what you should value and what path to follow were all made by society, if it was an LOC that was chosen by social evolution to make these rules, the members must be all dead now, maybe they would have now recommended changes based on prevailing reality.  The Society has prescribe these laws for it immortality but we won't live forever. We  are just  interruptions in the continuum of time, so ratify these values and choose your personal set.Everything is like everything else just until you decide to value one more.The power of money is in what it can buy and what t