Skip to main content

SALEWA


By Jonathan Oladeji
I don’t know how many people have met Salewa before, even if it is not the Salewa I am talking about. What can you say is common about every Salewa? It’s usually their room mates that can testify better.
I met Salewa in my 200 level and she told me her name was Sally. I stared at her for hours before managing to pick a seat behind her in the then AUD 2 on the Great Ife campus. Salewa is the typical tall, slim, dark and beautiful (TSDB) girl. I approached with all caution because I wanted to make a good impression. Even though I am not much of a fashionista, I could see her wrist bracelet, earrings and neck-piece were a complete set out of an A-Class boutique. Salewa was not the bend-down select kind of girl. I wanted to break out of that circle too by all means.
We talked awkwardly at first, then kicked off with a bit of more fashion related gist as I noticed that was all she wanted to talk about. I actually wanted to talk about drawing boards and painting canvasses, but it would be a game spoiler so I continued with the gist. We ended up dating for a while and it was always in the reading room, or at the cafeteria we met. The reading room was where she spent her time listening to music and playing games on her phone. I noticed she would tell her friends she was on a date, but both of us knew we were in a reading room.
We had been together for almost 6 months when I started noticing some irregularities. Salewa always waited for her room mates to leave the room before coming out with me and she would hardly go back until very late at night. I thought she just loved spending time with me…. I also realized no one had ever seen her parents when they come visiting. She usually tells me they come around and sometimes she would share some candy or fancy snack they had brought from “the abroad”.
It was towards the end of the second semester in my final year and one day I walked past Sally’s hall and the noise was deafening. It was the typical noise that accompanied the apprehension of a thief. “Ole!! Huuuhhh!!” the girls yammered on, some poured buckets of dirty water on the crouching girl, others pinched and slapped her head and pushed her. Some other guys too had been attracted to the crowd and I noticed some of the girls in Sally’s room gestured in my direction. I started to feel uneasy, but moved closer. Sally was on the ground, beaten and crying.
I rushed through the crowd of excited girls, tore off my shirt, wrapped it around her. Some boys came to my aid and we got her to the Porter’s lodge where the hall warden questioned those who knew about the incident. Sally had been borrowing her jewelries and clothings from her room mates all through from hundred level. She would steal snacks that her friends brought from home. She stole money on some occasions and these operations had gone unnoticed for 3 years. In her defence, she used to volunteer to wash clothes for her room mates. She also gave them the raw foodstuffs from her parent’s farm. So, technically they were paying her back in kind. That was how my mouth opened and could not close as she made her case between sobs and nose blowing.
It was that day I knew Sally was Salewa Aiyekoto, the daughter of a village high priest in one remote area in Ijebu-Igbo. I don’t know whether it’s the name or her father’s professionals, or her village people, but I will never forget about Salewa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HER MAJESTY

By Ola Vincent Omotade There was a village named Gini, a town blessed with mineral resources and oil. For a long-time the town had been under the pressure and control of Gbaduze a strong courageous king that ruled with excess superiority and power. A very sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, cities where corruption reigned supreme, they forsake the word of the wise and were bent on doing evil, but at the later end Queen Marieke, a woman brought back glory to the land. There lived a king named Gbaduze, a long living wealthy king, dark shinning in complexion, a man of his own very word and power embedded due to influence of the Niger-areas in Okere-aje kingdom. However, when death came calling, he died and the king makers ordered that the Queen to ascend the throne of her late husband and invariably preside over the affairs of the community. On ascension, she rigorously studied the existing relationship between the three major tribes in Gini. Q
This Allah must be a vampire! It must have become an ocean of blood and bones; this heaven. They must've turned maggots feeding on flesh; these angels. He must have looked away in shame and despair; this God. For ages they've murdered us in your name.

YOU ARE ENOUGH

Ignorance is protective. Because we know we will all die, Living is now a protest or an acceptance, like a waiting room where the minutes are in years. Like a dressing room for a grand performance. so we are preparing for a career, then a family then for retirement then... The concept of time is the scam of mortality, if we have to spend all our time minding it as we do currently. The norms about how you should live, what you should value and what path to follow were all made by society, if it was an LOC that was chosen by social evolution to make these rules, the members must be all dead now, maybe they would have now recommended changes based on prevailing reality.  The Society has prescribe these laws for it immortality but we won't live forever. We  are just  interruptions in the continuum of time, so ratify these values and choose your personal set.Everything is like everything else just until you decide to value one more.The power of money is in what it can buy and what t