Skip to main content

PIANOMAN

 – By Raphaelmary Chukwudi
It was music.
Not the ordinary music you listen to or sing.
But it’s still music.
It’s the music you play,
It was a musical instrument
It was the pianoforte.
Three years after graduating from the secondary school and I was unable to gain admission into the university, I lost hope. Life became meaningless. I would roam from one end of our street to the other without any mission. I felt like a failure as my parents were already tired of me.
My miserable life was transmogrified when Andrew took me to his church and I “touched” the standard pianoforte mounted on their altar.
“Which group do you play for?” their choirmaster had asked, amazed at my raw talent.
“I don’t know the first thing about a piano,” I answered insouciantly. “I suck at everything.”
“Hard life boy?” he giggled, “Notify me when you want to put those fingers of yours to good use.”
The next week, three of my friends were arrested for robbery and I decided to give life one last chance with my fingers.
I told my parents of my intention of being a pianist and they readily agreed as anything better than roaming the streets was acceptable.
I met Silas the choirmaster and he enrolled me into a music academy where I plan to specialize on playing the piano.
Within few weeks of my arrival, I was acclaimed the best student of the piano as I showed skills beyond that of a learner.
Storried Pianoman
“You’ll be as good as Yanni if you work harder,” my instructor would say to me.
On some occasions, we would be given songs to practice. Students who failed to perform excellently were told to stay back after normal lessons for more practice.
The drilling became more intense as it was rumored that Apostle Jerome, the best pianist in the country would be coming to our academy to pick two students for a program in Ottawa.
My skills became better and sharper as I played in churches, parties, clubs and different social gatherings.
My colleagues in the academy knew I was already in Ottawa and that they were just competing for the second place. I became a celebrity as everyone wanted to be associated with me.
Then pride set in.
I would tease my mates for their clumsiness, duel with any of them who provokes me, boast of my skill to any listening ear and jokingly challenge my instructors to a contest.
A week before the supposed arrival of Apostle Jerome, we were to give a freestyle performance in an auditorium.
Three performers before me were told to stay back for more practice due to their incompetence and I looked down on them with pity.
I climbed the stage with ease and played like never before. I played away my misery, my past street life, my formal sadness and my failure. I played off my sudden elevation, my superiority, my impeccability, my matchless skill and my infallibility.
I got lost in the pure bliss of the melodies I was releasing.
I played about heaven and earth, sun and moon, angels and demons, man and woman. I played of the world before creation.
I felt like Lucifer, no, like Saint Cecilia before the throne of God.
“Halt!”
The command brought me back to reality.
“More practice for three hours!”
“No!’ I screamed. “I can’t stay for practice. I am the best pianist here, I don’t make mistakes,” I retorted.
“Yes! You are the best here, but you used the wrong octave and you were playing out of key.”
The auditorium was hushed.
My scrotum tightened with fear. I couldn’t bear staying behind for more practice with learners and being made an object of ridicule.
“I quit!” I shouted with tears as I ran out of the auditorium.
I went back to my street life and became worse till I bumped into Sarah, one of my former colleagues.
She explained how apostle Jerome pick two students during the extra practice hours the day I was asked to stay back.
I went back home, examined my life and I saw that I was very foolish for running out of the auditorium. I resolved to visit the head instructor of my academy the next day to apologize.
The head instructor accepted me and explained how he intentionally told me to stay back for practice that day. He explained how he was the only one who knew the arrival day of Jerome and was very pleased with my performance and wanted me to stay for more practice in order to meet Jerome, but reserved the opportunity to examine me in his own way. He admonished me never to see failure as my downfall but as a lesson.
Though I lost the opportunity of going to Ottawa, I now play for international organizations as I’ve learnt that failure and success are related as he who must learn to ride must also learn to fall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HER MAJESTY

By Ola Vincent Omotade There was a village named Gini, a town blessed with mineral resources and oil. For a long-time the town had been under the pressure and control of Gbaduze a strong courageous king that ruled with excess superiority and power. A very sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, cities where corruption reigned supreme, they forsake the word of the wise and were bent on doing evil, but at the later end Queen Marieke, a woman brought back glory to the land. There lived a king named Gbaduze, a long living wealthy king, dark shinning in complexion, a man of his own very word and power embedded due to influence of the Niger-areas in Okere-aje kingdom. However, when death came calling, he died and the king makers ordered that the Queen to ascend the throne of her late husband and invariably preside over the affairs of the community. On ascension, she rigorously studied the existing relationship between the three major tribes in Gini. Q
This Allah must be a vampire! It must have become an ocean of blood and bones; this heaven. They must've turned maggots feeding on flesh; these angels. He must have looked away in shame and despair; this God. For ages they've murdered us in your name.

YOU ARE ENOUGH

Ignorance is protective. Because we know we will all die, Living is now a protest or an acceptance, like a waiting room where the minutes are in years. Like a dressing room for a grand performance. so we are preparing for a career, then a family then for retirement then... The concept of time is the scam of mortality, if we have to spend all our time minding it as we do currently. The norms about how you should live, what you should value and what path to follow were all made by society, if it was an LOC that was chosen by social evolution to make these rules, the members must be all dead now, maybe they would have now recommended changes based on prevailing reality.  The Society has prescribe these laws for it immortality but we won't live forever. We  are just  interruptions in the continuum of time, so ratify these values and choose your personal set.Everything is like everything else just until you decide to value one more.The power of money is in what it can buy and what t