Skip to main content

SWEET MIRACLE

By Favour Okere
Sweet Miracle,
I am writing this beside your grave. I can’t do this at home because all the show of pity and sympathy is almost choking me. Indeed, most humans are hypocrites. Yesterday, I watched some of them shed genuine tears whilst others wept like crocodiles. Remember Mama Ejima, the woman that said you were an imbecile because I had used you for money rituals, she was one of the weeping crocodiles. I can swear I had heard her laughter ringing in the compound some minutes before she came in, wearing a ridiculous long face and cursing death atop her voice. They expected me to wail too, and curse death for snatching you but I didn’t. I smiled instead. You should have seen the bemused expression on their faces. They all think I’m going mad but I won’t stop smiling. Your life should be celebrated, not mourned.
Baby, I will never forget the beautiful moments we shared; even though the ugly ones still remain entrenched in my memory. Like when your teacher called you mad.
‘Madam, we don’t train mad children here. Miracle doesn’t know anything! You should take her to a psychiatric hospital or a rehab,’ she mouthed.
Did you know I felt like yanking off her wig or tearing her fat face apart? But instead, I calmly told her that you were not mad, you just had Down’s syndrome. And she shrugged as if to say-what’s the difference? Or when that prophet had almost raped you. He claimed your case was spiritual so he had to ‘enter’ into you to deliver you. How your condition made us wander from pillar to post, from prayer house to shrine. Sometimes, I wish I didn’t make you take those potions, that smelt like urine; or those drugs, that almost took your life. But don’t blame me too much for I was just a desperate mother who wanted to see her child be like every other child. I was tired of the rejection, shame and sleepless nights.
Lest I forget, Dr. Aisha, the founder of Rainbow foundation, came around yesterday morning. Yes, the same woman that made me realise you were very special. The one that caused me to rip off my garments of ignorance and put on light; when she told me you could attend a special school and do special things like every other child. She caused me to stop wishing for what would have been and start appreciating what was. Did you know I shed tears of joy when I saw you running, playing and getting injured like other kids? Did you know I cried the day you gave me that necklace you made for me? Dr. Aisha made me rise up and inform the world about Down’s syndrome.
‘The extra chromosome is neither a punishment for sins nor a curse. Let them live life!’ I would chant on World Down Syndrome Day.
I know you would have done more special things if leukemia hadn’t come. Everyone says you fought bravely but I really wish I had fought it for you. Perhaps, you wouldn’t still have won if I had done the fighting. I’m glad you took your last breathe in my arms, with a big smile plastered on your face.
Honey, mummy deeply misses you. She misses your infectious smile and cute almond eyes. She hopes life over there is as perfect as they say it is. Just a little more patience and mummy will be with you. She will make your hair again, fix pretty ribbons in it and tell you about Jesus’ love for little children. Kachifo.
                                                        
Love,
                          Mummy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HER MAJESTY

By Ola Vincent Omotade There was a village named Gini, a town blessed with mineral resources and oil. For a long-time the town had been under the pressure and control of Gbaduze a strong courageous king that ruled with excess superiority and power. A very sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, cities where corruption reigned supreme, they forsake the word of the wise and were bent on doing evil, but at the later end Queen Marieke, a woman brought back glory to the land. There lived a king named Gbaduze, a long living wealthy king, dark shinning in complexion, a man of his own very word and power embedded due to influence of the Niger-areas in Okere-aje kingdom. However, when death came calling, he died and the king makers ordered that the Queen to ascend the throne of her late husband and invariably preside over the affairs of the community. On ascension, she rigorously studied the existing relationship between the three major tribes in Gini. Q
This Allah must be a vampire! It must have become an ocean of blood and bones; this heaven. They must've turned maggots feeding on flesh; these angels. He must have looked away in shame and despair; this God. For ages they've murdered us in your name.

YOU ARE ENOUGH

Ignorance is protective. Because we know we will all die, Living is now a protest or an acceptance, like a waiting room where the minutes are in years. Like a dressing room for a grand performance. so we are preparing for a career, then a family then for retirement then... The concept of time is the scam of mortality, if we have to spend all our time minding it as we do currently. The norms about how you should live, what you should value and what path to follow were all made by society, if it was an LOC that was chosen by social evolution to make these rules, the members must be all dead now, maybe they would have now recommended changes based on prevailing reality.  The Society has prescribe these laws for it immortality but we won't live forever. We  are just  interruptions in the continuum of time, so ratify these values and choose your personal set.Everything is like everything else just until you decide to value one more.The power of money is in what it can buy and what t