Skip to main content

Through the Lens of Resilience


Through the Lens of Resilience

Accidents are termed miracles when they end well. My miracle occurred during a storm so severe it made roads impassable, creating a long traffic jam in many parts of town, including where I lived with my aged mother in a house desperately needing a paintbrush. This house, sheltered thirty families, all varying in their degree of disrepair. My mother, with her leathery skin and eyes that could pierce, seeing through souls without judgment.

The flash flood’s fury was somewhat mitigated by a marsh near our home, beyond which lay a forest, the town's unofficial dumpsite of both human and material refuse. I knew the rains were coming; I saw the clouds outside the mosque after my prayer, but I had planned the photo shoot and the YouTube video I watched earlier spurred me on. I kept hearing his voice "If you are 25, you have 25 reasons to fight on".

 Donning a scarf, I grabbed my camera and ventured out, drawn by the toads’ croaks, as I had promised myself to make a gallery for the toad's choir. The noise will also drown my hunger pangs.

Photography, in my town, is for those who missed the bus of life, especially for women. I had stopped sleeping on the same bed with my mom so she wouldn't hear my sobs. Following my sack from the ghetto studio because I took many breaks to pray, I was tempted to drop my camera but I knew nothing else and loved nothing else.

That day, as I stood knee-deep in water, soaking in the rain, photographing toads, Jude, an art patron stranded by the flood, discovered me. This encounter represented more than just a financial breakthrough; holed up in his car he had watched me wading in the muddy waters, for an hour before he called out " I will pay for every picture, no matter how it looks and you will be the official photographer at my gallery"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Allah must be a vampire! It must have become an ocean of blood and bones; this heaven. They must've turned maggots feeding on flesh; these angels. He must have looked away in shame and despair; this God. For ages they've murdered us in your name.

YOU ARE ENOUGH

Ignorance is protective. Because we know we will all die, Living is now a protest or an acceptance, like a waiting room where the minutes are in years. Like a dressing room for a grand performance. so we are preparing for a career, then a family then for retirement then... The concept of time is the scam of mortality, if we have to spend all our time minding it as we do currently. The norms about how you should live, what you should value and what path to follow were all made by society, if it was an LOC that was chosen by social evolution to make these rules, the members must be all dead now, maybe they would have now recommended changes based on prevailing reality.  The Society has prescribe these laws for it immortality but we won't live forever. We  are just  interruptions in the continuum of time, so ratify these values and choose your personal set.Everything is like everything else just until you decide to value one more.The power of money is in what it can buy and what t
The first time I understood what sugar Daddy is, was in 2010. It was the same year I knew that most girls have boyfriends in all cities they've spent at least two days. I I had begged this fine girl, a fellow awardee, to let me travel with her to Port Harcourt to submit the documents required of us. I hadn't been to Port Harcourt before. She was young and dainty. Not quite a native city girl but she strove to show her knowledge of the contemporary. And that made her what is known today as slay queen. She said we should get to Enugu a day before, and from there take a bus to Port Harcourt. She had detached a little to make a call. Soon after, a shiny Camry pulled over at our feet. I had run back, cursing the driver in my mother tongue. Stella hopped in. I stood, staring at both of them. He was a middle aged man. I had been warned never to enter a stranger's car. 'Olodo, hop in!' Stella shouted, laughing. Insult was insult, whether said with a smile or a frown.